Local citizens called North Peters street, which today extends from Main street to Robinson, “Silk Stocking Row”, a nomenclature given to the street to indicate that those who lived in the neighborhood were wealthy enough to afford “silk stockings.”
Many of the Victorian homes in the neighborhood surrounding N. Peters have not survived through the years. But, those that have survived present excellent examples of Victorian architecture. Below are some of the vintage homes that still grace the streets of Silk Stocking Row neighborhood.
508 N. Peters Moore-Lindsay Historical House Queen Anne Architecture
William Moore and family built this house in 1899. In 1908 they sold the house to William Moore’s niece, Daisy Lindsey. Daisy Lindsay lived in the home until the 1960s.The City of Norman bought the house in 1973 to be restored into an historical museum.
213 Acres Richardsonm-Jimerson House Eastlake Style
W.C. Richardson built this home in 1892. Richardson owned T.L. Richardson lumber. Across the street at 123 Acres lived the Acres family, also involved in the lumber business. The two competed in building their homes--who could complete their homes first. In 1916, the new owner of the house, Ben Williams moved the house to an adjacent lot at 213 Acres and built a more modern house. (see entry below)
229 Acres Phelps House Queen Anne
E. A. Foster built this home with symmetrical towers . Daisy Lindsay’s parents, James T. and Sallie Phelps lived her to be close to their daughter at 508 North Peters.
123 acres The Acres House Folk Victorian
Built by the Acres family in the 1890s. The house once sat at the corner of Acres and Peters but was moved to make room for a new Acres home.
622 North Jones Seawell-Franing House Georgian Architecture
Seawell family built the house in 1891. Mr. Seawell owned one of the many opera houses in early Norman. Seawell sold the home and opera house to John Franing in 1903.
602 North Jones DeBarry House Exotic/Folk Victorian
This unusual “Round” house was built in 1912. Although most of the history of the house is unknown, the BeBerry’s lived in the house the longest, 1943 until the 1970s.
721 North Peters Holland House Queen Anne
E.A. Foster built this house in 1904 and sold it to J.R. Holland in 1905. The Holland family occupied this house until recently, the longest occupation of the same family in one home in Norman.
618 North Peters Marquart House Shingle style
A.C. and Martha Phelps built this house in 1900. A. C. was a businessman in Norman. His daughter, Flora Mae married Dr. D.W. Griffin of Griffin state hospital. The house, however, was known as the Marquart house for the postmaster, Mr. Marquart, who bought the home from A. C. Phelps. Marquart’s daughter Vida lived in the home until her death in the 1960s.
616 North Peters Rucker House Queen Anne
Will Hayes built this house at the turn-of-the-twentieth century. W.N. Rucker bought the house and lived there until 1914 when E. Sitlington bought the home; the Sitlington family lived in the house until the end of the 20th century.
615 North Peters Prairie Style
This house was built in the early 1920s. It was moved to 615 North from the country and placed on the lot owned by Hugh Jones, who owned many lots in the neighborhood that became known as the Jones Addition. Miss Vida Marquart bought the house and rented it out.
613 North Peters Williams House Craftsman
The Ben Williams family built this craftsman style home in 1916 on the lot once occupied by the Richardson-Jimerson family. Williams built the house to face Peters, therefore,acquiring the much sought Peters address.